Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm named after dogs?!?--How we decided on Sophie Ginger

I can just imagine Sophie saying this to me one day. Why?...because this is what people have asked me when I have told them her name.

Here's the story: Dana has a miniature dachshund named Ginger (who actually became a mommy just a few days ago!) Ginger used to belong to my nephew Gavin. Before this Ginger there was another Ginger though. When I was in 8th grade we got a miniature dachshund and named her Ginger after my middle name and because she had the red hair. Years later Ginger died and Gavin got this dachshund. Well he was still young and didn't really understand, so when asked what he wanted to name the dog he said it was Ginger #2. So our family has had 2 dachshunds named Ginger.

It just so happens that Brian's grandparents have 2 chihuahuas. Their names are Sasha and Sophie.

Yes, how ironic that there are dogs in our family with our daughter's name.
It has been funny to hear people ask if we named our child after dogs.

Here's where her name really came from:

Brian and I knew early on we wanted to give family names to our children, while also giving them their own name. We decided that for our first girl her middle name would be Ginger. My middle name is Ginger and I have always loved it. I love that is sounds pretty, isn't too common, and the fact that I'm named after my grandma. My dad's mom's name was Mable Virginia. My parents wanted to name me after her, but didn't want to use Mable or Virginia, so Ginger came from Virginia. I loved my grandma so much and always felt a close relationship to her. The older I become the more I realize how I share many of her characteristics (some good and even some not so good). Below are some pictures of my dad's parents. My grandpa passed away a few years before I was born, but I hope I carry on some of his qualities, because he was a great parent and was very caring. I'm very happy that we are able to pass on the name Ginger to our daughter not only after me, but after my grandma.


Excuse the photo quality. The photo has been slightly damaged.


Where did we get the name Sophie?

Well, we wanted to keep the same initials, so we began looking for names that began with S. There weren't many that we liked and almost gave up hope. When we came across Sophie it was perfect! It wasn't our intention to pick a name so similiar to mine, but it flowed so well with Ginger. We love that it is similar to my name with the "ph" and "ie", but different with its own meaning. We hope that she will love her name as much as we do, and that it will be a name that describes her well.

Sophie is a Greek name and means Wisdom.
Ginger is an English name and can mean liveliness or spring-like/flourishing (and of course the spice).

1 comment: